Monday, July 27, 2009

Neil Young and bands I have played in. (from a messageboard)

Click pic for full image!
Streaming Old FILLMORE Concerts and such, free. (77 views) logged in as: iratejones
new thread | messages | index | logout | change password
edit profile | upload photo | options | active users

iratejones posted this on Nov 15th, 2006 at 11:56:06 am
http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/
there is some nice shit on here.

you so swayze posted this on Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:05:08 pm
indeed. that neil young/crazy horse concert is going to be released soon, not sure if they'll be able to continue streaming it.

iratejones posted this on Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:22:18 pm
I have a funny Neil Young story. A friend of mine LANCE JONES was running the Starlake Amphitheatre before he worked for Sirius. When Neil Young played there I called up and he let me speak to Neil. I was playing some early song of his (“There was a band playing in my head and I felt like getting high”). When he recorded it I guess he didn't know that a certain chord went with what he was singing and used the right route note but not the right alteration of the chord; I told him the right chord. He grabbed a guitar and tried it and said you're right, and thanked me. I doubt that he actually took it in use. When CSN&Y played the Civic Arena with the FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS I got carted off to jail because I was hanging around the stage door and security didn’t believe I knew some of the performers and finally called the cops. David Crosby and the bass player player(Pinky)from the TBIRDS came and got me out.


jakelstrip posted this on Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:28:17 pm
hey iratejones, what pgh. bands have you played in, may I ask?

iratejones posted this on Nov 15th, 2006 at 01:03:45 pm
1st, I must say that I have met, played with, and jammed with some Jazz, but, a slew of blues and roots R&R, and R&B greats when young; most of whom have passed on!

1958-1960-2: Singing with 2 other guys on the corner in Homewood section of Pgh, Pa., where Frankstown Ave intersects with Lincoln Ave, Mead, and Enterprise Sts. Also on the corner of Ellsworth Ave. and Spahr St. in Shadyside( I was called Li'l Fabian for one thing).
1962:Singing outside the Sacred Heart School Gym after sporting events w/ Ronnie Frye, Karl Schweibens, and Mike Ainor.

1960 Started playing guitar in somewhat serious fashion.

1963-4 Playing guitar and singing back-up in a gospel band w/Angela and Francise Holt(The Golden Spirits).
Went to Boston.
1965-7 Was guest gtr of blues great, Junior Wells, at the Club 47 in Cambridge, MA.. Learned songs from local rockers, Our Boys, in an apt. near where I lived on Ashford St. in Alston section of Boston.
Back to Pgh..
1968-1970s Moon(tripped take on blues), The Da-glo Crazies (a Marijuana, LSD, Mescaline, Peyote inspired band), Gravel(early country rock band[Corbin-Hanner]), Glue & The Dustheads( acoustic instrument noise band), me and David New playing on the lawn at CMU, Billy Price and the Rhythm Kings(rhythm/lead gtr), PA Tollgate, Street Talk , Armdirrillo( C&W band) in Tempe, Arizona, some Blues band in Oakland,CA(w/ Reuben Griffin and Mr. Guest), a Mariachi band, briefly, in San Diego(replacing a sick guy on the Bajo Sexto or Guitarone(learned to play Mambo with some of these guys).
1980s Albert King, BB King and Bobby Blue Bland bands(80-81), my own 2 bands in Pgh. PA: Blues Before Sunrise and Stackhouse Blues Band, some blues band W/ Lucy Van Sickle. A lot of jamming and hanging w/ Stevie Ray Vaughan.
1990s Feral Family, Ultraviolent Radiation(all bass players[up to 5], 2 singers, a drummer), ATS(as occasional guest), LoveLeash(w/Evan Knauer on bass and various drummers in 1s, 2s and 3s), Evan Knauer Choir Orchestra, Blues Niggaz(me and Lemmy Kilmeister, one show only, at a MOTORHEAD show after party(acoustic blues. Lemmy played rhythm guitar me lead we both sang; this was at METROPOL in the Strip District section of Pgh, PA).
1998-2000s: LoveLeash, Dirty Faces( I am on the MORE LIES cd), several bands in Japan, a house Blues band in Brooklyn, NY(corner of Bedford and S 5th).
Currently(2009) playing acoustic gigs under the name Lover 29 and also occasionally with a reformed LoveLeash rock band.

2 comments:

  1. I find it amazing that through all your time in Pittsburgh you never played with Stacey Gray, Walt Maddox or Norm Nardini! You gotta have some Stevie Ray stories though!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norm Nardini and his brother Art Nardini were also members of MOON Which is mentioned in my blog entry. Lee Greenblatt was also in there!

    ReplyDelete